Sunday, March 9, 2008

Staring at empty suitcases

Right now I am sitting on my bed in my make shift room in my parents house in Dallas, and I'm staring at a room full of clothes and empty suitcases. Somehow I can't bring myself to begin packing. I'm still plagued by the question, what do I pack in a suitcase for 8-10 months? I have no idea at all. Everytime I think about packing, I just go and sit in the living room and watch another episode of Paradise Hotel 2 on the Reality Channel, which up until 2 days ago, I didn't know existed. If any one has any ideas on what I should do about this packing situation, please let me know.

I am also very plagued by this blog thing. Not just the writing part, but the actual site itself. How do I make my site look cool? How do I add friends, or add other people's blogs to my site, like a friend list. Why isn't everything as easy as facebook? Also I downloaded Skype today, and realized that my computer doesn't have a microphone. Typical of my really nice Dell computer. Should I buy one? I probably won't know how to use it, when I get it. I'm so technologically challenged.

I also feel like I should go out and buy new stuff, t-shirts, underwear, shorts, socks, etc. I feel somehow this is a waste of money, but my biggest fear is getting to China and being unprepared, or every one seeing me wear the exact same thing everyday. I'm gonna be the bum on tour, who has to borrow stuff from people constantly. I need some one to hold my hand through this whole ordeal, or maybe I should just go and wing it. I'm so nervous about everything. The kids on the tour get to bring a parent with them, why don't I? Hopefully Maddy will get me through it all, and she won't let me die.

Ok, in keeping with the tradition of not packing, I'm going to the movies with my little brother!

2 comments:

Dillon said...

Take it one step at a time. I'm packing in categories: Spring/Fall, Summer, pants, shirts, dress clothes, movies/books/music/computer stuff, work/show related stuff, shoes, jackets, bathroom/medicine cabinet stuff. Not that this approach has helped me at all -- I'm just as far as you: two empty suitcases on an extra bed in my parents' house.

You SHOULD be able to get anything you need over there, especially in regard to clothing. I'm packing light in terms of summer wardrobe, planning on doing some shopping before the temp goes WAY high.

If you've got tech questions, I more than willing to help -- I was a Computer Engineer in a previous career. I just bought a new Mac laptop for the built-in camera. It works with Skype just great! No idea on the blogger.com upgrades -- I'm running wordpress on my site. Ask Maddy -- she's got a good looking site.

Best of luck with it all. Leave me a note if you've got particular packing questions as you go.

jactressk said...

hey! i did a test pack two weeks ago, you actually don't need to bring all that much. ok, my clothes are probably much smaller than yours, but i was able to pack a TON in one suitcase. i put all of my toilettries in the medium size rolling suitcase that comes in a nesting set.

then, for packing clothes, pack for warmer weather than colder weather. i don't usually like shorts, so i'm bringing more jeans than most girls probably will, but it's surprising how much you can fit. suggestion, pack 2-3 weeks of clothes without doing laundry. that was my rule when i was a girl scout and went to camps and such. remember nights could get cold.

in thailand, "winter" (dec/jan/feb) doesn't get colder than 50 degrees. so it won't be so bad elsewhere. no need to bring that parka.

and lastly, check out best buy. for a few bucks, you can get an "operator headset", you know, earphones and mic all in one.

as for adding things to your blog... if you go to "layout", you can move things around. if you click on "add element" or whatever it says, you can add links (which is what the rest of us have done) a box to add your contact info, video (like i have, but you need a youtube account), all kinds of things. and you can move them around by clicking on them and dragging them. let me know if you need help!