Thursday, March 20, 2008

Living a Cliche

So much has happened that I feel like I've been here for years. I don't even know what to write about, it all seems like a huge blur, and like it happened years ago.

We all walk around like celebrities, especially the little kids. Being blond is especially attractive to the masses of Chinese. I can't walk around without being stared at, smiled at, or gawked at. Today at Starbucks, Greg, my rooommate, and I were like animals in the zoo. The four people at the table next to us, stared and talked and laughed about us constantly. Now I know what being a goldfish feels like, the language barrier being our glass bowl, which separates us from the "outside" world.

Speaking of Starbucks, Greg and I are probably the two most cliche Americans. The first thing we did when we first got here was walk around and explore the city, but first we went to Starbucks and picked up 2 Grande Lattes. How cliche could we possibly be, two 6 feet tall, blond headed kids walking around the streets with our Starbucks Lattes. Of course I don't speak Chinese, but I know exactly what all of the Chinese people who stare and point at us are saying: "It is true, Americans are all giant blonds who drink Starbucks all time." Also out of the many meals, I have already partaken of while in China, the majority of them have consisted of 1 trip to McDonalds, 1 to KFC, and 2 to Pizza Hut. This only further exemplifies the American stereo-type.

Rehearsal is going so well. Everyone really works well together, and we have all hit it off. There has also been rumor of a little show-mance...further to details to follow at a later date. I had dinner with Tiffan, who is playing Elsa, who recently graduated from OCU. Let me just say, that that dinner was nothing short of a 3-ring circus. The waiters would not leave us alone, and were staring at us the entire time we were trying to read the menus. The one who spoke the most English, kept giggling like a school girl, every time I would ask her a question. Tiffan was very overwhelmed from all of the attention.

Tuesday, has come to be known as massage day, or in other words, the day of many gropings. Greg and I were not called for rehearsal at all on Tuesday, so we decided to go to the "spa" in the hotel, and get massages. They were priced at 108Y which is approximately $15.42. As soon as we get there, the owner takes us back in to our seperate massage rooms, and then comes in to mine, and asks if we are here for sex or just massages. He does this by making an ok sign with his left hand and using the index finger of his right hand to enter the circle of the O of his left hand, while saying "You like...?" I quickly said, "No thank you, just a massage." My tight jean sporting, overdone make up wearing, pretend masseuse comes in and immediately turns on the TV and starts rubbing my back in the most bored and uninterested way possible. The occasionaly cupping of my nether regions, was the only thing that she seemed to be trained to do. Needless to say it was not the massage that I expected.

That same night, we went to this place that advertised themselves as offering 2 and1/2 hour massages for 120Y or $17. This was exactly what I had expected and wanted in a massage. I went with Maddy, Rebecca and Clay (who is playing Franz). The whole experience was surreal. When we walked into this huge complex, there were mobs of massage therapists sitting on couches, and as you walked by they all stood up and bowed their heads to us. They took the 4 of us into of huge room that had the biggest bed I've ever seen. It had 4 pillows and 4 blankets. 4 little ladies come in and begin to perform their duties. It was the most thorough 2.5 hour massage I have ever had. I felt so great after. My favorite part was when my lady was petting my blond hair and moaning, like "ooo look at my pretty new pet." It boosted my ego like crazy. I will be going back to this place at least once a week.

Sometimes I forget that I'm here to 'work' and that this is not a vacation. From re-reading what I just wrote, I haven't really been talking about the show or rehearsal. It is a huge part of what we are doing here. It just seems to be the only factor of normality in this other worldly planet that we are living in. Ok, I'm tired of writing and I'm gonna go. If you read this, please make a comment, because on my last blog, there were no comments, so I feel like no one is reading it...please show me love, cuz I'm so insecure.

3 comments:

Carter & Zachary said...

Chris,

I'm enjoying reading yours, and everybody else's blogs. Keep them coming! I'll be there on May 15 for the rest of the tour.

Carter Sayle (Zachary's Dad)

Katelin said...

Chris Ketner in China!! wow. I love your blog. I'm currently reading it during my Civil Procedure class, so thanks for keeping me entertained!! The moral of the story is that when I decide to go to China I will make sure to dye my hair bleach blond to make sure I have an extremely uncomfortable time :)

Tausha said...

Aw, this post was funny. I can't believe you got offered a happy ending massage. I guess that place wasn't prepared to give you only a massage. Sounds like you're enjoying yourself though and definitely go out and explore! It will be a rewarding experience for you. Hope you're having fun and I miss you!