Saturday, March 22, 2008

Happy Easter

It didn't seem like Easter at all this week in China. There are no Easter bunnies, or chocolate eggs in the stores, and no one is thinking about going to get their new Easter suit for Easter Sunday.

John Weigand, who is playing Herr Zeller (whom I'm also understudying) arranged for us all to go to this interdenominational church service her in Chengdu. I really didn't think I was going to go, because in my mind Easter didn't seem that important or that it was even happening. Last night I told Emily (Frau Schmidt) that I would go with her to church today. When she called at 8:30am, I said, I'm too tired I'm gonna stay in bed, but I couldn't go back to sleep at all, and ten minutes later I called her back and told her I was going.

I can't imagine that I would have missed this amazing experience. A man, named Eric, who works at the U.S. Consulate came at 930 and picked us up and took us to church. In my mind, I expected there to be like 50 people tops, in a little tiny church somewhere in a ghetto area of Chengdu. These are the typical churches that I'm used too, with my experience of foreign mission work with my dad. We arrive at this huge high rise building, which is typical of this city, and we go up the elevator to the 3rd floor. We walk into this huge room with about 400 seats, within 20 minutes every seat was full. It was amazing. There were so many westerners there to fellowship and worship on Easter Sunday.

The first thing we did, was introduce every single first time visitor. I was the first one from our group to get passed the microphone, and I said My name is Chris Ketner and I'm here with several members of the Sound of Music Asia Tour. There was uproarious applause, it was so overwhelming and moving. The service itself was extremely moving and uplifting and encouraging. The spirit of the people was so overwhelmingly inviting and comforting. I sat there and really experienced God in an amazing way. I was really inspired to stay focused on my walk as a Christian while on tour. All I could think of the entire time that I was in the service was how abundant and blessed by the Spirit of God that church community is. I hope that next week, we will be able to go back and fellowship with all of those Christians, who are living and working in China, away from their homes from all over the world. I'm so glad that I went this morning, and I thank God for bringing me here and letting me have this experience.

HAPPY EASTER!

4 comments:

Carter & Zachary said...

Chris, that's really cool. I got chill bumps when I read that! I'm definitely going to share this with the Sunday School class I teach. I'll see/meet you in May when I takeover as Zachary's chaperone.

Carter (Zachary's Dad)

Monique said...

Oh, Chris Ketner, my love. Casey King came into Cretia's and asked me how you liked living in China. I had no clue what she was talking about, so naturally I came home googled Chris Ketner, China and here you are. I am so excited for you. What an awesome experience. Keep up the blog posting. I enjoyed reading about the drama that followed you to Asia.
I better call my mom and tell her what's up with you.
Love you
Monique

Momma (Lydia) said...

Chris, I'n not even quite sure what to say but you made Me Laugh readin all your Blogs then you made Me Cry. I just Thank God for putting you in my Life He has blessed me simply by knowing You. I love you ! Keep on blogging and I will keep checking on you.. Amazed by your Talent...Again I Love you.. God Bless you Chris
From Momma (lydia)

Jennifer Roady said...

Hey Chris,

I can't believe you are in China. I always knew you do great things. My mom and I talk about you all the time. She thinks you look like the boy who plays "Ryan Evans" in High School Musical. I really enjoy reading your blogs. I hope you have a great time in China. Be careful!!